My tryst with baked food...

                 I'm slightly on the heavier side.My closer friends will go as far as to say I'm "obese".I live with it.And,more importantly,I don't make any effort to get into so-called "shape".God intended man to be in different shapes and sizes.So,I consider myself to be in one of those shapes.
                 Well...I know I might have "health problems" later on...but again I don't plan on abstainment when I can enjoy all the delights this life has to offer.There MIGHT be chemical reactions going on in the recedes of my tummy whose products MIGHT years later bring me to the fringes of hospital care.As far as it concerns me,there are too many 'MIGHTS' to consume my attention at this age now.
                 I think it began with a small bakery near my home aeon's back when I was barely ten years old.I was not a chocolate freak nor was a "sweet" guy.In fact I was not even heavy those days.But,things were to change for the heavier.I chanced upon this bakery when the usual grocery shop was closed and Mom back home needed bread.So,I bought the bread and Mom complimented me on my choice of a new brand of bread.It was not really a "brand" as such since this bakery in question was too small to even think of branding their products.It was more of a shop and the guy used to sit at a chair.In front of him were different glass containers,the ones which are seen even today in some bakeries.It was at a height and only adults could talk to the guy.I had to stand on a small ledge and only then could I feast my eyes on the products on sale.Thus began my tryst with this bathroom-sized shop otherwise known as "Classic Bakery".
                 More visits to the bakery,more consumption of bread at home and finally I was friends with the son of the owner of CB.He was a guy in his early twenties and used to kid me around.Also,he had the most distasteful sense of humour.He had something to say about every girl who passed by CB.But,I was not to be put off by leering bakery sellers when their products were heaven-like.I had been surveying the various products for a long time now..but hadn't gone ahead to buy any yet.When I did buy the first biscuit..a white one,very small but considerably thick and some flakes associated with it.
                 It was ecstasy.Sheer bites of ecstasy if it were to come in biscuit form.And from that day on,I learnt to smile at his jokes half the time not understanding what they meant and munching on ecstasy.Soon I was familiarized with the brothers and sisters of ecstasy.For need of better vocabulary,I can term them as 'Ecstasy Familia'.Soon the entire bakery was under my purview.My entire pocket money was being spent on CB.I was no longer smoking/sucking on Phantom Cigarettes.They were a thing of the past now.I had to be faithful to CB.Biscuits with small bits of cashew(which were slightly costlier but every bit worth it of course),almost five varieties of white biscuits alone,buns both with and without cream(each had their own charm),cone shaped baked stuff(still not sure what its made of) and last but not the least cup cakes.Cup cakes were miniature doors to heaven.You peel the paper off and you're in paradise.
                By and by,I was seen more at the bakery than anywhere else.The sorcery of CB was a period of around 2-3 years I guess and then I moved on.I mean literally.We moved house.Miles away almost to the other end of town and I had to bid farewell to Classic Bakery.I bought all the biscuits I could buy when we moved and ate them..small portions a day faithfully until like every other good thing,the ration ended.
                 But then,God was kind.Soon I was introduced to the Far East.Long threads of cooked delight.Otherwise known as "noodles".But for that,it demands a separate re-telling altogether.

No comments: