One Hundred Percent Mallu....

                          "Is this Tamil or Malayalam"?? I asked the man next to me.He turned to me and immediately I knew the answer.The man grinned and said "Malayalam".I had already guessed as I could see that as he replied,it was as if his moustache was talking and his mouth was non-existent.And before you think that I'm going to elaborate on South Indian styles of moustaches and close this window,please refrain from doing so.
                          I should have guessed already as there were giant moustaches walking all around me in the auditorium.If it wasn't that,it was fair complexioned ladies.The latter part in case you were wondering would have ruled out "Tamil" as the man's answer since you know the colour Tamil people and especially women come in.Now,the man said "Aren't you Malayali?".I didn't know how to respond.I hesitantly said "No Sir,I'm Telugu."."Oh",he said,"surprising"."Really"? I thought and gave him a quizzical look.Wasn't I in Hyderabad,the capital of Andhra Pradesh(atleast for now)??He elaborated,"this is the Malayali community over here."I returned the smile,with less moustache though.
                          To finally stop beating around the bush/mush,I was at a Christmas Carols "extravaganza" at a place in Hyderabad.This was my first Christmas away from home and I felt I was missing out on the festivity,so to say.My cousin came to the rescue and suggested a few churches and functions that could probably fill the gap.One such suggestion was this particular function and after the above mentioned conversation,I felt that probably I was not very welcome over there.However,the man engaged me in a nice conversation with his thick English and I was at ease.
                          The singing was fabulous.It was simply great.I couldn't understand most of what they were singing except for "Yeshu","Christmas" and "Merry",but the tenors,sopranos etc. more than made up for it.I had heard about Keralite singing before and now I was enjoying it live,swaying and tapping my feet as the guys and girls opened and closed their mouths in unison and as the organist's fingers made merry with the keys.
                          For me,surprisingly,the most spectacular aspect of the whole evening was more visual than vocal.The reason being,though the sounds entering my ears were as sweet as honey,the sights(read girls) my eyes were feasting on were simply angelic.God's Own Country was written all over them.They were examples of God's partiality towards the female clan of this tiny state from South India.Gawd,were they good looking!!It was like I was opening Santa's presents as each church's name was called and the choir came on to the stage.I must have fell in love with atleast twenty girls who were singing on the stage.Each church had a choir of its own and each choir had angels of its own.They came in different coloured sari's and boy,it was a visual feast.
                          Sunday evenings were seldom as entertaining as that particular one.Suddenly,there was cheer all around and especially inside me.I went home with the tunes in my heart and the faces in my mind.Meanwhile I had made up my mind to find myself a Malayali bride.

1 comment:

Ajan said...

Listen to "I yam a maliyali" song. You're gonna like it!! Guess chandu has it.